- Experience and expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in blood vessel conditions (vascular specialists), blood vessel surgery (vascular and endovascular surgeons) and others have experience and expertise diagnosing and treating abdominal aortic aneurysms. Mayo doctors evaluate or treat more than 3,400 people with abdominal aortic aneurysms each year, and doctors perform about 225 abdominal aortic aneurysm procedures each year.
- Vascular centers. Each Mayo Clinic location offers a vascular center staffed by doctors and other specialists who have training and experience in treating vascular diseases. Vascular centers include the Gonda Vascular Center at Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota and vascular centers at Mayo Clinic's campuses in Arizona and Florida.
- Treatment expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors have expertise treating people who have abdominal aortic aneurysms using endovascular surgery and open abdominal surgery.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's cardiac surgery and cardiovascular diseases departments' expertise and rankings.
March 23, 2016
- AskMayoExpert. Abdominal aortic aneurysm (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Abdominal aortic aneurysm: Signs and symptoms. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- What is an aneurysm? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/arm. Accessed Nov. 11, 2015.
- Aortic aneurysms. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons. http://www.sts.org/patient-information/aneurysm-surgery/aortic-aneurysms. Accessed Nov. 11, 2015.
- Abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA). Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular-disorders/diseases-of-the-aorta-and-its-branches/abdominal-aortic-aneurysms-aaa. Accessed Nov. 11, 2015.
- Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm: Consumer guide. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/UpdateSummaryFinal/abdominal-aortic-aneurysm-screening. Accessed Nov. 11, 2015.
- Mohler ER. Epidemiology, risk factors, pathogenesis and natural history of abdominal aortic aneurysm. http:www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 11, 2015.
- Jim J, et al. Clinical features and diagnosis of abdominal aortic aneurysm. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 11, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Abdominal aortic aneurysm: Treatment. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Collins KA. Overview of abdominal aortic aneurysm. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 11, 2015.
- The American Heart Association's diet and lifestyle recommendations. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/The-American-Heart-Associations-Diet-and-Lifestyle-Recommendations_UCM_305855_Article.jsp#.Vk-mAdiFPmI. Accessed Nov. 20, 2015.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 21, 2015.
- Gloviczki P (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 22, 2016.
- Cook AJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 24, 2016.
Abdominal aortic aneurysm