Though antisocial personality disorder is difficult to treat, for some people, treatment and close follow-up over the long term may be beneficial. Look for medical and mental health professionals with experience in treating antisocial personality disorder.
Treatment depends on each person's particular situation, their willingness to participate in treatment and the severity of symptoms.
Psychotherapy, also called talk therapy, is sometimes used to treat antisocial personality disorder. Therapy may include, for example, anger and violence management, treatment for substance abuse, and treatment for other mental health conditions.
But psychotherapy is not always effective, especially if symptoms are severe and the person can't admit that he or she contributes to serious problems.
There are no medications specifically approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat antisocial personality disorder. Doctors may prescribe medications for conditions sometimes associated with antisocial personality disorder, such as anxiety or depression, or for symptoms of aggression. Drugs are usually prescribed cautiously because some have the potential for misuse.
April 02, 2016
- Antisocial personality disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- Meloy JR, et al. Antisocial personality disorder. In: Gabbard's Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2014. http://psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.5555/appi.books.9781585625048.gg00pre. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- Antisocial personality disorder: Prevention and management. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg77. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- Black DW. The natural history of antisocial personality disorder. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2015;60:309.
- Black DW. Antisocial personality disorder: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, course and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- Black DW. Treatment of antisocial personality disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- Werner KB, et al. Epidemiology, comorbidity, and behavioral genetics of antisocial personality disorder and psychopathy. Psychiatric Annals. 2015;45:195.
- Velotti P, et al. Mindfulness moderates the relationship between aggression and antisocial personality disorder traits: Preliminary investigation with an offender sample. Comprehensive Psychiatry. 2016;64:38.
- Palmer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 24, 2016.
Antisocial personality disorder