Churg-Strauss syndrome is a disorder marked by blood vessel inflammation. This inflammation can restrict blood flow to vital organs and tissues, sometimes permanently damaging them. This condition is also known as eosinophilic granulomatosis (gran-u-low-muh-TOE-sis) with polyangiitis (pol-e-an-jee-I-tis).
Asthma is the most common sign of Churg-Strauss syndrome. The disorder can also cause a variety of other problems, such as hay fever, rash, gastrointestinal bleeding, and pain and numbness in your hands and feet.
Churg-Strauss syndrome is rare and has no cure. But your doctor can usually help you control symptoms with steroids and other powerful immunosuppressant drugs.
Aug. 16, 2016
- Greco A, et al. Churg-Strauss syndrome. Autoimmunity Reviews. 2015;14:341.
- Churg Strauss syndrome. National Organization for Rare Disorders. http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/churg-strauss-syndrome/. Accessed June 25, 2016.
- Churg-Strauss syndrome (CSS). American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/related-conditions/churg-strauss-syndrome. Accessed June 25, 2016.
- King TE. Clinical features and diagnosis of eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (ChurgStrauss). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 25, 2016.
- Ferri FF. Eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (ChurgStrauss syndrome). In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 25, 2016.
- Masi AT, et al. The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of Churg-Strauss syndrome (allergic granulomatosis and angiitis). Arthritis and Rheumatism. 1990;33:1094.
- Medication and side effects. The Churg-Strauss Syndrome Association. http://www.cssassociation.org/medications-and-side-effects.html. Accessed June 27, 2016.
- Eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (EGPA/ChurgStrauss syndrome). Vasculitis Foundation. http://www.vasculitisfoundation.org/education/forms/eosinophilic-granulomatosis-with-polyangiitis-churg-strauss-syndrome/. Accessed June 25, 2016.