Your Mayo Clinic care team
Your multispecialty team may include experts in nephrology, hypertension, endocrinology, nutrition and other areas. These specialists work together to develop a therapy plan tailored to your needs.
Mayo researchers in the Division of Nephrology and Hypertension work on clinical trials and other research with colleagues throughout the country and internationally. Together, they're developing new treatments and a deeper understanding of what causes diabetic nephropathy. Mayo Clinic doctors also serve on the Mayo Nephrology Collaborative Group, a national network for clinical research on kidney disease.
At Mayo Clinic, you may have access to ongoing clinical trials and new treatments.
Advanced diagnosis and treatment
Because kidney disease can go undetected until it's too late, effective and consistent diagnosis is essential. Mayo Clinic uses several diagnostic tests to identify diabetic nephropathy and other kidney problems. It offers very precise measurement of the glomerular filtration rate — a useful test of overall kidney function.
Mayo Clinic offers advanced treatment options for end-stage kidney disease, including dialysis or transplant. It offers state-of-the-art dialysis treatment, including the option for in-home dialysis. And the Mayo Clinic Kidney Transplant Program offers pre-transplant consultation, living-donor evaluation, transplant surgery and post-transplant care.
Nationally and internationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic is one of the world's leading kidney disease centers. Mayo physicians are leading a global effort to improve diagnosis of kidney disease.
Oct. 13, 2016
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 11, 2016.
- Evert AB, et al. New diabetes nutrition therapy recommendations: What you need to know. Diabetes Spectrum. 2014;27:121.
- AskMayoExpert. Diabetic nephropathy. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Diabetes and the kidney. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 10, 2016.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Approach to the patient with renal disease. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 10, 2016.
- Skorecki K, et al., eds. Diabetic nephropathy. In: Brenner and Rector's The Kidney. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 10, 2016.
- Bakris GL, et al. Effect of finerenone on albuminuria in patients with diabetic nephropathy: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2015;314:884.
- Diabetic nephropathy. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary-disorders/glomerular-disorders/diabetic-nephropathy. Accessed June 10, 2016.
- National Kidney Foundation. KDOQI Clinical Practice Guidelines for Diabetes and CKD: 2012 update. American Journal of Kidney Disease. 2012;60:850.
- Oshel K (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Aug. 9, 2016.
- Johnson RJ, et al. Pathogenesis, clinical manifestations and natural history of diabetic nephropathy. In: Comprehensive Clinical Nephrology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Etiology, pathogenesis and management of renal failure. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 10, 2016.
- Diabetes and chronic kidney disease. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/news/newsroom/factsheets/Diabetes-And-CKD. Accessed June 10, 2016.
- Preventing diabetic kidney disease: 10 answers to questions. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/preventkiddisease. Accessed June 10, 2016.
- Coping effectively: A guide for patients and their families. The National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/coping_effectively_guide. Accessed June 10, 2016.
- Bakris GL. Overview of diabetic nephropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 10, 2016.
- Bakris GL. Treatment of diabetic nephropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 10, 2016.
- Sethi S, et al. Mayo Clinic/Renal Pathology Society consensus report on pathologic classification, diagnosis, and report of GN. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2015;27:1.