Severe pain following a tooth extraction is often enough for your dentist or oral surgeon to suspect dry socket. He or she will also ask about any other symptoms and examine your mouth to see if you have a blood clot in your tooth socket and whether you have exposed bone.
You may need to have X-rays taken of your mouth and teeth to rule out other conditions, such as a bone infection (osteomyelitis) or small fragments of root or bone remaining in the wound after surgery.
Jan. 25, 2017
- Dry socket. American Dental Association. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/d/dry-socket. Accessed Nov. 15, 2016.
- Akinbami BO, et al. Dry socket: Incidence, clinical features, and predisposing factors. International Journal of Dentistry. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijd/2014/796102/. Accessed Nov. 15, 2016.
- Postextraction problems. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/en-ca/professional/dental-disorders/dental-emergencies/postextraction-problems. Accessed Nov. 15, 2016.
- Tarakji B, et al. Systematic review of dry socket: Aetiology, treatment, and prevention. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2015;9:ZE10.
- Hupp JR. Prevention and management of extraction complications. In: Contemporary Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 6th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 15, 2016.
- Sharif MO, et al. Interventions for the prevention of dry socket: An evidence-based update. British Dental Journal. 2014;217:550.
- Daly B, et al. Local interventions for the management of alveolar osteitis (dry socket) (review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006968.pub2/abstract. Accessed Nov. 17, 2016.
- Ramponi DR. Dental procedures. Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal. 2016;38:228.
- Edens MH, et al. Intraoral pain disorders. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America. 2016;28:275.
- Fenton DA, et al. Perioperative strategies for third molar surgery. Atlas of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America. 2012;20:25.
- What to do following an extraction. Oral Health Foundation. https://www.dentalhealth.org/tell-me-about/topic/routine-treatment/what-to-do-following-an-extraction. Accessed Nov. 30, 2016.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 4, 2016.