Granulomatosis with polyangiitis is an uncommon disorder that causes inflammation of the blood vessels in your nose, sinuses, throat, lungs and kidneys.
Granulomatosis with polyangiitis, formerly called Wegener's granulomatosis, is one of a group of blood vessel disorders called vasculitis. It slows blood flow to some of your organs. The affected tissues may develop areas of inflammation called granulomas, which sometimes affect how these organs work.
Early diagnosis and treatment of granulomatosis with polyangiitis may lead to a full recovery. Without treatment, granulomatosis with polyangiitis can be fatal.
Dec. 22, 2015
- AskMayoExpert. Granulomatosis with polyangiitis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's). American College of Rheumatology http://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/Patient-Caregiver/Diseases-Conditions/Granulomatosis-with-Polyangitis-Wegners. Accessed Oct. 6, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's granulomatosis). In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 6, 2015.
- Guillevin L, et al. Rituximab versus azathioprine for maintenance in ANCA-associated vasculitis. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014;371:1771.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. The vasculitis syndromes. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Oct. 6, 2015.
- Langford CA. Update on the treatment of granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's). Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine. 2012;14:164.
- Gwathmey KG, et al. Vasculitic neuropathies. Lancet Neurology. 2014;13:67.
- Zand L, et al. Treatment of ANCA-associated vasculitis: New therapies and a look at old entities. Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease. 2014;21:182.
- Holle JU, et al. Clinical manifestations and treatment of Wegener's granulomatosis. Rheumatologic Disease Clinics of North America. 2010;36:507.
- Clain JM, et al. Experience with rituximab in the treatment of antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody associated vasculitis. Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Disease. 2014;6:58.
- Trimarchi Mt, et al. Otorhinolaryngological manifestations in granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's). Autoimmunity Reviews. 2013;12:501.
- Springer J, et al. Granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's): Impact of maintenance therapy duration. Medicine. 2014;93:82.
Granulomatosis with polyangiitis