Heart disease, usually thought of as blockages in the arteries that can cause a heart attack, can describe any medical condition affecting your heart.
Enlarged heart is often a sign of a serious heart condition. Find out causes and treatments for enlarged heart.
Mitral valve prolapse occurs when the valve separating two of your heart's chambers malfunctions. The disorder usually isn't serious and often doesn't require surgical treatment.
Foot pain? Headache? Sore throat? Skin rash? Use the Symptom Checker to find out what's causing your symptom.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Tests and diagnosis
Treatments and drugs
Feb. 23, 2016
- Marx JA, et al., eds. Dysrhythmias. In: Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com.
- What is an arrhythmia? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/arr. Accessed Oct. 21, 2015.
- About arrhythmia. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/AboutArrhythmia/About-Arrhythmia_UCM_002010_Article.jsp. Accessed Oct. 25, 2015.
- Neumar RW, et al. Part 1: Executive summary 2015 American Heart Association guidelines update for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiovascular care. Circulation. 2015;132(suppl):S315.
- Overview of arrhythmias. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular-disorders/arrhythmias-and-conduction-disorders/overview-of-arrhythmias?qt=arrhythmias&alt=sh. Accessed Oct. 25, 2015.
- Zipes DP, et al. Assessment of the patient with a cardiac arrhythmia. In: Cardiac Electrophysiology: From Cell to Bedside. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 25, 2015.
- Bonow RO, et al. Specific arrhythmias: Diagnosis and treatment. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015.
- Pederson CT, et al. EHRA/HRS/APHRS expert consensus on ventricular arrhythmias. Heart Rhythm. 2014;11:e166.
- Heart diseases and disorders. Heart Rhythm Society. http://www.hrsonline.org/Patient-Resources/Heart-Diseases-Disorders#a. Oct. 28, 2015.
- Levy S, et al. Arrhythmia management for the primary care clinician. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 25, 2015.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 5, 2015.
- Brenyo A, et al. Review of complementary and alternative medicine medical treatment of arrhythmias. The American Journal of Cardiology. 2014;113:897.
- Alcohol and heart health. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Alcohol-and-Heart-Health_UCM_305173_Article.jsp#.VjEP0rerTIU. Accessed Oct. 28, 2015.
- Mankad R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 16, 2015.