Your doctor will be able to diagnose the condition as Henoch-Schonlein purpura if the classic rash, joint pain and gastrointestinal symptoms are present. If some of these signs and symptoms are missing, your doctor may suggest one or more of the following tests.
No single test can confirm Henoch-Schonlein purpura, but certain tests can help rule out other diseases and make a diagnosis of Henoch-Schonlein seem likely. They may include:
- Blood tests. Your blood may be tested if your diagnosis isn't clear based on your signs and symptoms.
- Urine tests. Your urine may be tested for evidence of blood and to determine if your kidneys are still working properly.
People who have Henoch-Schonlein purpura often have deposits of a certain antibody on their skin. Your doctor may take a small sample of skin to be examined under a microscope. In cases of severe kidney involvement, your doctor may suggest a kidney biopsy to help guide treatment decisions.
Your doctor may recommend an ultrasound to rule out other causes of abdominal pain and to check for possible complications, such as a bowel obstruction.
Nov. 09, 2016
- Henoch-Schonlein purpura. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/hsp. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Henoch-Schonlein purpura nephritis. In: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 20th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Interventions for preventing and treating kidney disease in Henoch-Schonlein purpura. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.20.0b/ovidweb.cgi. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Dedeoglu F, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Henoch-Schonlein purpura. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Dedeoglu F, et al. Management of Henoch-Schonlein purpura. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2016.
- Ferri FF. Henoch-Schonlein purpura. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 18, 2016.