Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis is a rare disease that occurs mainly in people with advanced kidney failure with or without dialysis. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis may resemble skin diseases, such as scleroderma and scleromyxedema, with thickening and darkening developing on large areas of the skin.
Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis can also affect internal organs, such as the heart, kidneys and lungs, and it can cause a disabling shortening of muscles and tendons in the joints (joint contracture).
For some people with advanced kidney disease, being exposed to certain gadolinium-containing contrast agents during magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and other imaging studies has been identified as a trigger for development of this disease. Recognition of this link has dramatically reduced the incidence of nephrogenic systemic fibrosis.
Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis care at Mayo Clinic
June 16, 2016
- Kaewlai R, et al. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2012;199:W17.
- Galan A, et al. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. In: Treatment of Skin Disease: Comprehensive Therapeutic Strategies. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Limited; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Questions and answers on gadolinium-based contrast agents. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugSafetyNewsletter/ucm142889.htm. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. National Organization for Rare Disorders. http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/nephrogenic-systemic-fibrosis/. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Thomsen HS, et al. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis and gadolinium-based contrast media: Updated ESUR Contrast Medium Safety Committee guidelines. European Radiology. 2013;23:307.
- Ferri FF. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Miskulin D, et al. Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis/nephrogenic fibrosing dermopathy in advanced renal failure. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Leung N (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 15, 2016.
Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis