Tests and procedures used to diagnose pancreatitis include:
- Blood tests to look for elevated levels of pancreatic enzymes
- Stool tests in chronic pancreatitis to measure levels of fat that could suggest your digestive system isn't absorbing nutrients adequately
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan to look for gallstones and assess the extent of pancreas inflammation
- Abdominal ultrasound to look for gallstones and pancreas inflammation
- Endoscopic ultrasound to look for inflammation and blockages in the pancreatic duct or bile duct
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to look for abnormalities in the gallbladder, pancreas and ducts
Your doctor may recommend other tests, depending on your particular situation.
Oct. 12, 2016
- Pancreatitis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/liver-disease/pancreatitis/Pages/facts.aspx. Accessed July 28, 2016.
- Pancreatitis: Acute and chronic. American College of Gastroenterology. http://patients.gi.org/topics/pancreatitis-acute-and-chronic/. Accessed July 28, 2016.
- Ferri FF. Pancreatitis, acute. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 28, 2016.
- Ferri FF. Pancreatitis, chronic. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 28, 2016.
- Feldman M, et al. Acute pancreatitis. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 26, 2016.
- Complementary pancreatitis therapies. National Pancreas Foundation. https://www.pancreasfoundation.org/patientinformation/acutepancreatitis/complimentarypancreatitistherapies/. Accessed July 29, 2016.
- Brown A. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 2, 2016.
- Rajan E (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 11, 2016.
- Garcia-Alonzo FA, et al. Gallstone-related disease in the elderly: Is there room for improvement? Digestive Diseases and Sciences. 2015;60:1770.