Mayo has a long experience in diagnosing and treating this rare disease. Pyoderma gangrenosum was first identified by Mayo doctors more than 80 years ago. More recently, Mayo clinicians researched the extent to which pyoderma gangrenosum is misdiagnosed and the types of treatment that work best for the condition.
Dec. 16, 2015
- Dabade TS, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of the neutrophilic dermatoses (pyoderma gangrenosum, Sweet's syndrome). Dermatologic Therapy. 2011;24:273.
- Miller J, et al. Pyoderma gangrenosum: A review and update on new therapies. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2010;62:646.
- AskMayoExpert. Pyoderma gangrenosum. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Shahi V, et al. Pyoderma gangrenosum associated with solid organ malignancies. International Journal of Dermatology. 2015;54:e351.
- Bolognia J, et al., eds. Neutrophilic dermatoses. In: Dermatology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2012.
- Ferri FF. Pyoderma gangrenosum. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com Accessed Sept. 24, 2015.
- Wolff K, et al. Neutrophil-mediated diseases. In: Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Sept. 29, 2015.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Pyoderma gangrenosum. In: Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Sept. 29, 2015.
- Stanislav N, et al. Postoperative pyoderma gangrenosum (PG): The Mayo Clinic experience of 20 years from 1994 through 2014. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2015;73:615.
- Braswel SF, et al. Pathophysiology of pyoderma gangrenosum (PG): An updated review. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2015;73:691.
- Cabalag MS, et al. Inpatient management of pyoderma gangrenosum: Treatments, outcomes and clinical implications. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2015;74:354.
- AskMayoExpert. Skin grafts. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Stair-Buchmann ME, et al. Pyoderma gangrenosum: A difficult diagnosis best managed in a burn treatment center. Journal of Burn Care Research. 2015;36:3190.
- Armstrong DG, et al. Basic principles of wound management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Okhovat JP, et al. JAMA Dermatology Patient Page: Pyoderma gangrenosum. JAMA Dermatology. 2014;150:1032.
- DeFilipps EM, et al. The genetics of pyoderma gangrenosum and implications for treatment: A systematic review. British Journal of Dermatology. 2015;172:1487.
- AskMayoExpert. Skin ulcers. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.