Lifestyle and home remedies
Becoming more aware of tension-related habits — clenching your jaw, grinding your teeth or chewing pencils — will help you reduce their frequency. The following tips may help you reduce symptoms of TMJ disorders:
- Avoid overuse of jaw muscles. Eat soft foods. Cut food into small pieces. Steer clear of sticky or chewy food. Avoid chewing gum.
- Stretching and massage. Your doctor, dentist or physical therapist may show you how to do exercises that stretch and strengthen your jaw muscles and how to massage the muscles yourself.
- Heat or cold. Applying warm, moist heat or ice to the side of your face may help alleviate pain.
June 21, 2016
- TMJ disorders. National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/oralhealth/topics/tmj/tmjdisorders.htm. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- Firestein GS, et al. Temporomandibular joint pain. In: Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- Scrivani SJ, et al. Temporomandibular disorders in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- Flint PW, et al. Temporomandibular joint disorders. In: Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Temporomandibular disorder. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Ferri FF. Temporomandibular joint syndrome. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 12, 2016.
- Ritenbaugh C, et al. Comparative effectiveness of traditional Chinese medicine and psychosocial care in the treatment of temporomandibular disorders-associated chronic facial pain. Journal of Pain. 2012;13:1075.
- Relaxation techniques for health: An introduction. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/stress/relaxation.htm. Accessed May 12, 2016.
- Fillmore, J (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 1, 2016.