SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
Signs and symptoms of dermatographia may include:
- Raised red lines
- Hive-like welts
The signs and symptoms may occur within a few minutes of your skin being rubbed or scratched and usually disappear within 30 minutes. Rarely, dermatographia develops more slowly and lasts several hours to several days.
The condition itself can last for months or years.
When to see a doctor
See your doctor if your signs and symptoms are particularly bothersome.
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Oct. 4, 2012.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Oct. 4, 2012.
- Dice JP, et al. Physical urticarias. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Oct. 4, 2012.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed Oct. 4, 2012.
- Adkinson NF, et al. Middleton's Allergy: Principles and Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05659-5..00061-9--cesec9&isbn=978-0-323-05659-5&sid=1363424664&uniqId=370214287-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05659-5..00061-9--cesec9. Accessed Oct. 4, 2012.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 18, 2012.