DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
|Abdominal aortic aneurysm|
Although an abdominal ultrasound can be done to check for a number of conditions, it can be used to screen for an abdominal aortic aneurysm. An abdominal aortic aneurysm is a weakened, bulging spot in your abdominal aorta, the artery that runs through the middle of your abdomen and supplies blood to the lower half of your body.
An abdominal ultrasound can also be used to check for other diseases that affect your kidneys, liver, gallbladder and pancreas.
An abdominal ultrasound to screen for an abdominal aortic aneurysm is recommended for men ages 65 to 75 who are current or former cigarette smokers. Having an abdominal ultrasound to screen for an aortic aneurysm isn't specifically recommended for men who have never smoked, nor women, unless your doctor suspects you may have an aneurysm.
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm. Society for Vascular Surgery. http://www.vascularweb.org/vascularhealth/Pages/abdominal-aortic-aneurysm.aspx. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Abdominal ultrasound. Radiological Society of North America and American College of Radiology. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=abdominus. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm: Recommendation statement. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/uspsaneu.htm. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Health care guideline: Preventive services for adults. Bloomington, Minn.: Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement. http://www.icsi.org/preventive_services_for_adults/preventive_services_for_adults_4.html. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Dabare D, et al. What is the role of screening in the management of abdominal aortic aneurysms? Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery. 2012;14:399.
- United Kingdom EVAR Investigators. Endovascular versus open repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;362:1863.
- Chaer RA. Endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.