What you can expectBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
|Abdominal aortic aneurysm|
During the procedure
A typical ultrasound exam is painless and takes about 20 minutes to complete. You may be asked to change into a hospital gown for the procedure.
Your abdominal ultrasound is usually performed by a specially trained technician (sonographer). During the exam, you lie on your back on an examination table and a small amount of warm gel is applied to your abdomen. The gel helps eliminate the formation of air pockets between your skin and the instrument, called a transducer, the technician uses to see your aorta. The sonographer presses the transducer against your skin over your abdomen, moving from one area to another.
The transducer sends images to a computer screen that the technician monitors. The technician monitors blood flow through your abdominal aorta to check for an aneurysm.
After the procedure
After your abdominal ultrasound, your doctor will discuss the results with you at a later time. Usually, if no aneurysm is found, your doctor won't recommend any additional screenings. If an aneurysm is found, your doctor will discuss the need for any further tests and your treatment options with you.
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm. Society for Vascular Surgery. http://www.vascularweb.org/vascularhealth/Pages/abdominal-aortic-aneurysm.aspx. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Abdominal ultrasound. Radiological Society of North America and American College of Radiology. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=abdominus. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm: Recommendation statement. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/uspsaneu.htm. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Health care guideline: Preventive services for adults. Bloomington, Minn.: Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement. http://www.icsi.org/preventive_services_for_adults/preventive_services_for_adults_4.html. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Dabare D, et al. What is the role of screening in the management of abdominal aortic aneurysms? Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery. 2012;14:399.
- United Kingdom EVAR Investigators. Endovascular versus open repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;362:1863.
- Chaer RA. Endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.