ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
If treated early, almost all actinic keratoses can be eliminated before developing into skin cancer. However, if left untreated some of these spots or patches may progress to squamous cell carcinoma, a serious form of skin cancer.
An actinic keratosis may be the earliest form of squamous cell carcinoma. This type of cancer usually isn't life-threatening if detected and treated early. In a few cases, however, squamous cell carcinoma can grow to be large and invade surrounding tissues, with some even spreading (metastasizing) to other parts of your body.
- Jorizzo J, et al. Actinic keratosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.
- Actinic keratoses. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/sun_actinic.html. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.
- Shoimer I, et al. Current management of actinic keratoses. Skin Therapy Letter. 2010;15:5.
- Habif TP. Premalignant and malignant nonmelanoma skin tumors. In: Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..00030-4--s0300&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..00030-4--s0300&uniqId=224808926-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..00030-4--s0300. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.
- Duncan KO, et al. Epithelial precancerous lesions. In: Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2981340. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.
- Sunscreens/sunblocks. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/sun_sunscreens.html. Accessed Oct. 28, 2010.