PreventionBy Mayo Clinic staff
Take these steps to help reduce your risk of getting acute sinusitis:
- Avoid upper respiratory infections. Minimize contact with people who have colds. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, especially before your meals.
- Carefully manage your allergies. Work with your doctor to keep symptoms under control.
- Avoid cigarette smoke and polluted air. Tobacco smoke and other pollutants can irritate and inflame your lungs and nasal passages.
- Use a humidifier. If the air in your home is dry, such as it is if you have forced-air heat, adding moisture to the air may help prevent sinusitis. Be sure the humidifier stays clean and free of mold with regular, thorough cleaning.
- Hwang PH, et al. Acute sinusitis and rhinosinusitis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 10, 2010.
- Sinus infection (sinusitis). National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/sinusitis/Pages/Index.aspx. Accessed Aug. 10, 2010.
- Leung RS, et al. The diagnosis and management of acute and chronic sinusitis. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2008;35:11.
- Tips to remember: Sinusitis. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/patients/publicedmat/tips/sinusitis.stm. Accessed Aug. 10, 2010.
- Joint Task Force on Practice Parameters for Allergy and Immunology. The diagnosis and management of sinusitis: A practice parameter update. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2005;116(suppl):13.
- Dykewicz MS, et al. Rhinitis and sinusitis. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2010;125(suppl):103.
- Fact sheet: 20 questions about your sinuses. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/sinuses.cfm. Accessed Aug. 10, 2010.
- Sinusitis. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Aug. 11, 2010.
- Sinupret. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Aug. 13, 2010.
- SinuComp. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Aug. 13, 2010.
- Naegleria FAQs. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/faqs.html. Accessed Dec. 30, 2011.