SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Acute sinusitis symptoms often include:
- Drainage of a thick, yellow or greenish discharge from the nose or down the back of the throat
- Nasal obstruction or congestion, causing difficulty breathing through your nose
- Pain, tenderness, swelling and pressure around your eyes, cheeks, nose or forehead
- Aching in your upper jaw and teeth
- Reduced sense of smell and taste
- Cough, which may be worse at night
Other signs and symptoms can include:
- Ear pain
- Sore throat
- Bad breath (halitosis)
When to see a doctor
If you have mild symptoms of sinusitis, try self-care.
Contact your doctor if you have any of the following:
- Symptoms that don't improve within a few days or symptoms that get worse
- A persistent fever
- A history of recurrent or chronic sinusitis
See a doctor immediately if you have signs or symptoms that may indicate a serious infection:
- Pain or swelling around your eyes
- Swollen forehead
- Severe headache
- Double vision or other vision changes
- Stiff neck
- Shortness of breath
- Hwang PH, et al. Acute sinusitis and rhinosinusitis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 10, 2010.
- Sinus infection (sinusitis). National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/sinusitis/Pages/Index.aspx. Accessed Aug. 10, 2010.
- Leung RS, et al. The diagnosis and management of acute and chronic sinusitis. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2008;35:11.
- Tips to remember: Sinusitis. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/patients/publicedmat/tips/sinusitis.stm. Accessed Aug. 10, 2010.
- Joint Task Force on Practice Parameters for Allergy and Immunology. The diagnosis and management of sinusitis: A practice parameter update. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2005;116(suppl):13.
- Dykewicz MS, et al. Rhinitis and sinusitis. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2010;125(suppl):103.
- Fact sheet: 20 questions about your sinuses. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/sinuses.cfm. Accessed Aug. 10, 2010.
- Sinusitis. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Aug. 11, 2010.
- Sinupret. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Aug. 13, 2010.
- SinuComp. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Aug. 13, 2010.
- Naegleria FAQs. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/faqs.html. Accessed Dec. 30, 2011.