Tests and diagnosisBy Mayo Clinic staff
There are no lab tests to diagnose an amniotic fluid embolism. A diagnosis is typically made after other conditions have been ruled out. In some cases, a diagnosis is only made after maternal death.
- Monga M. Amniotic fluid embolism: A diagnostic dilemma. Critical Care Medicine. 2012;40:2236.
- Kramer MS, et al. Amniotic fluid embolism: Incidence, risk factors and impact on perinatal outcome. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2012;119:874.
- Knight M, et al. Amniotic fluid embolism incidence, risk factors and outcomes: A review and recommendations. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2012;12:7.
- Caputo M, et al. Severe ischemic complications caused by second trimester amniotic fluid embolism. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics. 2012;116:175.
- Benson MD. Current concepts of immunology and diagnosis in amniotic fluid embolism. Clinical and Developmental Immunology. 2012;2012:1.
- Roberts CL, et al. Amniotic fluid embolism in an Australian population-based cohort. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2010;117:1417.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6363736. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- DeCherney AH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Obstetrics & Gynecology.10th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=9. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=46. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- Sibai BM. Management of Acute Obstetric Emergencies. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011:71.
- Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary. 32nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders; 2011. http://dorlands.com/index.jsp. Accessed July 26, 2012.
- Abenhaim HA, et al. Incidence and risk factors of amniotic fluid embolisms: A population-based study on 3 million births in the United States. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2008;199:49.e1.
- Gist RS, et al. Amniotic fluid embolism. Anesthesia and Analgesia. 2009;108:1599.
- Baldisseri MR. Amniotic fluid embolism syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 31, 2012.