SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Signs and symptoms of amyloidosis depend on which of your organs are affected. When signs and symptoms are evident, they may include:
- Swelling of your ankles and legs
- Significant weight loss
- Shortness of breath
- Numbness or tingling in your hands or feet
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Feeling full quickly
- Severe fatigue
- An enlarged tongue (macroglossia)
- Skin changes, such as thickening or easy bruising
- Purplish patches (purpura) around the eyes
- An irregular heartbeat
- Difficulty swallowing
- Protein in the urine (detected by urine tests)
When to see a doctor
If you persistently experience any of the signs or symptoms that may be associated with amyloidosis, see your doctor to determine whether the underlying cause may be amyloidosis or another problem.
- Gorevic PD. An overview of amyloidosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed June 25, 2011.
- Amyloidosis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/sec12/ch160/ch160a.html. Accessed June 25, 2011.
- Naqvi BH, et al. Amyloidosis. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed June 25, 2011.
- Seldin DC, et al. Amyloidosis. In: Fauci AS, et al. Harrison's Online. 17th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2863105. Accessed June 25, 2011.
- Rajkumar SV. Prognosis and treatment of immunoglobulin light chain (AL) amyloidosis and light and heavy chain deposition diseases. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed June 25, 2011.
- Gertz MA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 26, 2011.