SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
|The anal canal|
Anal cancer signs and symptoms include:
- Bleeding from the anus or rectum
- Pain in the area of the anus
- A mass or growth in the anal canal
- Anal itching
When to see a doctor
The signs and symptoms of anal cancer aren't specific to this disease. Some people mistake their signs and symptoms for more common conditions, such as hemorrhoids, and don't see their doctors. Talk to your doctor about any signs and symptoms that bother you, especially if you have any factors that increase your risk of anal cancer. Treatment for anal cancer is more likely to succeed if cancer is found at an early stage.
- Deng GE, et al. Evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for integrative oncology: Complementary therapies and botanicals. Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology. 2009;7:85.
- Anal carcinoma. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/anal.pdf. Accessed Oct. 19, 2010.
- Anal cancer treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/anal/patient. Accessed Oct. 19, 2010.
- Malik U, et al. Cancer of the anal canal. In: Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone; 2008:1557.
- Gardasil (prescribing information). Whitehouse Station, N.J.: Merck & Co. Inc.; 2009. http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/g/gardasil/gardasil_pi.pdf. Accessed Oct. 20, 2010.
- Cervarix (prescribing information). Research Triangle Park, N.C.: GlaxoSmithKline; 2009. http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_cervarix.pdf. Accessed Oct. 20, 2010.
- Joseph DA, et al. Understanding the burden of human papillomavirus-associated anal cancers in the U.S. Cancer. 2008;113(suppl):2892.
- Moynihan TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 28, 2010.