CausesBy Mayo Clinic staff
It's not clear what causes Asperger's syndrome, although changes in certain genes may be involved. The disorder also seems to be linked to changes in the structure of the brain.
One factor that isn't associated with the development of Asperger's syndrome or other autism spectrum disorders is childhood immunizations.
- Asperger's disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://psychiatryonline.com/content.aspx?aID=7667&searchStr=asperger%27s+disorder. Accessed Sept. 10, 2010.
- Toth K, et al. Asperger's syndrome: Diagnosis and treatment. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2008;165:958.
- Autism spectrum disorders. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec19/ch299/ch299c.html#S19_CH299_T002. Accessed Sept. 11, 2010.
- Asperger syndrome fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/asperger/detail_asperger.htm?css=print. Accessed Sept 11, 2010.
- Notordaeme M, et al. Asperger's syndrome and high-functioning autism: Language, motor and cognitive profiles. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2010;19:475.
- Asperger syndrome. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/asperger_syndrome.cfm. Accessed Sept. 11, 2010.
- Weber K. Asperger's syndrome: From hiding to thriving. The Nurse Practitioner. 2008;19:14.
- Levy SE, et al. Complementary and alternative medicine treatments for children with autism spectrum disorders. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Clinics of North America. 2008;17:803.
- Price CS, et al. Prenatal and infant exposure to thimerosal from vaccines and immunoglobulins and risk of autism. Pediatrics. 2010;126:656.
- Atkinson DL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 25, 2010.
- Stigler KA, et al. Aripiprazole in pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified and Asperger's disorder: A 14-week, perspective, open-label study. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. 2009;19:265.
- Posey DJ, et al. Guanfacine treatment of hyperactivity and inattention in pervasive developmental disorders: A retrospective analysis of 80 cases. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology. 2004;14:233.
- Moreno C, et al. Metabolic effects of second-generation antipsychotics in bipolar youth: Comparison with other psychotic and nonpsychotic diagnoses. Bipolar Disorders. 2010;12:172.
- Malone RP, et al. Advances in drug treatments for children and adolescents with autism and other pervasive developmental disorders. CNS Drugs. 2005;19:923.
- Elchaar GM, et al. Efficacy and safety of naltrexone use in pediatric patients with autistic disorder. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2006;40:1086.
- Questions and answers on unapproved chelation products. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/MedicationHealthFraud/ucm229313.htm. Accessed Oct. 26, 2010.
- Guastella AJ, et al. Intranasal oxytocin improves emotion recognition for youth with autism spectrum disorders. Biological Psychiatry. 2010;67:692.
- Hollander E, et al. Oxytocin increases retention of social cognition in autism. Biological Psychiatry. 2007;61:498.