- Video: Using a metered dose asthma inhaler and spacer
- Video: How to use a dry powder tube inhaler
- Video: How to use a peak flow meter
- Video: How to use a dry powder disk inhaler
- see all
Video: How to use a dry powder disk inhalerBy Mayo Clinic staff
Here are general instructions for using a dry powder disk inhaler.
To begin, hold the disk level in one hand. With the other hand, put your thumb in the appropriate notch and push it away from you as far as it goes. The mouthpiece will appear and snap into place.
Keep the disk horizontal. Again with your thumb, slide the lever away from you until it clicks.
The disk is now ready to deliver medication.
Put your lips around the mouthpiece. Breathe in quickly and deeply through your mouth - not your nose. After inhaling, remove the disk from your mouth and hold your breath for up to 10 seconds.
To close the disk, put your thumb in the notch and slide it back toward you as far as it goes. The disk will click shut, and the lever will automatically return to its original position. The disk is now ready for your next dose.
Your inhaler may come with slightly different instructions. Ask your doctor for a demonstration.
- Advair Diskus (prescribing information). Research Triangle Park, N.C.: GlaxoSmithKline; 2011. http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_advair.pdf. Accessed April 25, 2011.