RisksBy Mayo Clinic staff
A barium enema exam poses few risks. Rarely, complications of a barium enema exam may include:
- Inflammation in tissues surrounding the colon
- Obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract
- Tear in the colon wall
- Barium enema examination. American Society of Radiologic Technologists. https://www.asrt.org/content/ThePublic/AboutRadiologicProcedures/Barium_Enema_exam.aspx. Accessed April 12, 2011.
- Lower gastrointestinal (GI) tract X-ray (radiography). Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=lowergi. Accessed April 12, 2011.
- Colorectal cancer early detection. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ColonandRectumCancer/MoreInformation/ColonandRectumCancerEarlyDetection/colorectal-cancer-early-detection-screening-tests-used. Accessed April 12, 2011.
- American Cancer Society guidelines for the early detection of cancer. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_2_3X_ACS_Cancer_Detection_Guidelines_36.asp?sitearea=PED. Accessed April 12, 2011.
- Labianca R, et al. Screening and diagnosis for colorectal cancer: Present and future. Tumori. 2010;96:889.
- Picco, MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. April 13, 2011.
- Fletcher RH. Tests for screening for colorectal cancer: Stool tests, radiologic imaging and endoscopy. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 12, 2011.