CausesBy Mayo Clinic staff
The causes of binge-eating disorder are unknown. But family history, biological factors, long-term dieting and psychological issues increase your risk.
- Binge eating disorder. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/binge.htm. Accessed Jan. 31, 2012.
- Appendix B: Criteria sets and axes provided for further study. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://dsm.psychiatryonline.org/content.aspx?bookid=22§ionid=1891981. Accessed Jan. 31, 2012.
- Sim LA, et al. Identification and treatment of eating disorders in the primary care setting. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2010;85:746.
- Herpertz S, et al. The diagnosis and treatment of eating disorders. Deutsches Ärzteblatt International. 2011;108:678.
- Hay PJ, et al. Clinical psychopharmacology of eating disorders: A research update. International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011; In press. Accessed Feb. 2, 2012.
- Breuner CC. Complementary, holistic, and integrative medicine: Eating disorders. Pediatrics in Review. 2010;31:c75.
- Carei TR, et al. Randomized controlled clinical trial of yoga in the treatment of eating disorders. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2010;46:346.
- Forman SF. Eating disorders: Epidemiology, pathogenesis and clinical features. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 26, 2012.
- Carrard I, et al. Acceptance and efficacy of a guided Internet self-help treatment program for obese patients with binge eating disorder. Clinical Practice & Epidemiology in Mental Health. 2011;7:8.
- Hudson JI, et al. The prevalence and correlates of eating disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Biological Psychiatry. 2007;61:348.
- Mazzeo SE, et al. Environmental and genetic risk factors for eating disorders: What the clinician needs to know. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2009;18:67.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic Rochester, Minn. Feb. 22, 2012.
- Sim LA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic Rochester, Minn. Feb. 20, 2012.
- Goldschmidt AB, et al. Which dieters are at risk for the onset of binge eating? A prospective study of adolescents and young adults. Journal of Adolescent Health. February 22, 2012. http://jahonline.org. Accessed March 21, 2012.