A single copy of this article may be reprinted for personal, noncommercial use only.
Bleeding after hysterectomy: What's normal?By Mayo Clinic staff
Original Article: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bleeding-after-hysterectomy/AN01889
- With Mayo Clinic gynecologist and obstetrician
Mary M. Gallenberg, M.D.read biographyclose window
Mary M. Gallenberg, M.D.Mary M. Gallenberg, M.D.
Dr. Mary Gallenberg is board certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology and by the American Board of Internal Medicine in internal medicine and medical oncology.
An Antigo, Wis., native, Dr. Gallenberg is a consultant in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., and an assistant professor at College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic.
Dr. Gallenberg has been with Mayo Clinic since 1990. She was on the Mayo Clinic Women's HealthSource editorial board and has been honored for excellence in teaching. She also won a Mayo Clinic Excellence Through Teamwork award.
Bleeding after hysterectomy: What's normal?
Is vaginal bleeding after hysterectomy common? How long should it last?
from Mary M. Gallenberg, M.D.
Hysterectomy is the surgical removal of the uterus. It's normal to have bloody vaginal discharge for several days to several weeks after a hysterectomy, as the sutures dissolve and the tissue heals. So you'll likely need to wear sanitary pads during that time.
Generally, vaginal bleeding after hysterectomy should be light. You may notice occasional spotting or a pink discharge. If bleeding after hysterectomy is as heavy as a menstrual period or lasts longer than six weeks, consult your doctor for an evaluation.
- Frequently asked questions. Special procedures FAQ008. Hysterectomy. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq008.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20130325T1506097063. Accessed March 25, 2013.
- Hysterectomy fact sheet. Womenshealth.gov. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/hysterectomy.cfm. Accessed March 25, 2013.
- Gallenberg MM (expert opinion). Rochester, Minn. March 26, 2013.
- Bakkum-Gamez JN (expert opinion). Rochester, Minn. March 27, 2013.