SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Signs and symptoms of blind loop syndrome often include:
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain
- An uncomfortable feeling of fullness after eating
- Unintentional weight loss
When to see a doctor
Bloating, nausea and diarrhea are signs and symptoms of many intestinal problems. See your doctor for a full evaluation — especially if you've had abdominal surgery — if you have:
- Persistent diarrhea
- Rapid, unintentional weight loss
- Abdominal pain lasting more than a few days
If you have severe abdominal pain, get immediate medical care.
- Turnage RH, et al. Abdominal wall, umbilicus, peritoneum, mesenteries, omentum, and retroperitoneum. In: Townsend CM Jr, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 18th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/164856770-3/902155171/1565/469.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3675-3..50052-6--cesec137_2746. Accessed Dec. 18, 2011.
- Vanderhoof JA, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of small bacterial intestinal overgrowth. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 21, 2011.
- Bacterial overgrowth syndrome: Malabsorption syndromes. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec02/ch017/ch017b.html. Accessed Dec. 18, 2011.
- Vanderhoof JA, et al. Treatment of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 21, 2011.
- Vanderhoof JA, et al. Etiology and pathogenesis of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 21, 2011.
- Kahn E, et al. Anatomy, histology, embryology, and developmental anomalies of the small and large intestine. In: Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/164856770-5/902188062/1389/733.html#4-u1.0-B1-4160-0245-6..50104-9--cesec7_4663. Accessed Dec. 21, 2011.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 15, 2012.