- Slide show: Blood sugar testing
Slide show: Blood sugar testingBy Mayo Clinic staff
Gather your tools
Blood sugar testing is usually done with a needle called a lancet and an electronic glucose monitor. Start by gathering your supplies:
- Computer connecting cord (available with some glucose monitors)
- Glucose monitor carrying case
- Glucose monitor
- Lancing device
- Lancing device cap with dial to set depth of skin puncture
- Test strip
- Vial containing test strips
- McCulloch DK. Blood glucose self-monitoring in management of diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 10, 2011.
- Checking your blood glucose. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/type-2-diabetes/blood-glucose-checks.jsp. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- Getting up to date on glucose meters. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm049051.htm. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- Travelers with disabilities and medical conditions. Transportation Security Administration. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- Protect yourself, protect others: Safe options for home needle disposal. Environmental Protection Agency. http://www.epa.gov/waste/nonhaz/industrial/medical/med-home.pdf. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- 2011 Blood glucose meters. American Diabetes Association. http://forecast.diabetes.org/print/2617. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.