What you can expectBy Mayo Clinic staff
During the blood urea nitrogen test, a member of your health care team takes a sample of blood by inserting a needle into a vein in your arm. The blood sample is sent to a lab for analysis. You can return to your usual activities immediately.
- The kidneys and how they work. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/yourkidneys/. Accessed May 30, 2013.
- BUN. Lab Tests Online. http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/bun/tab/test. Accessed June 8, 2013.
- Taal MW, et al. Brenner & Rector's The Kidney. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6193-9..C2010-1-67932-1--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6193-9&uniqId=321553651-265. Accessed May 30, 2013.
- Inkler LA, et al. Assessment of kidney function. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 30, 2013.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 11, 2013.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 19, 2013.
- National Kidney Foundation. Tests to measure kidney function, damage and detect abnormalities. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidneytests.cfm. Accessed June 25, 2013.