DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
Dental braces are wire-based appliances that orthodontists use to correct crowded and misaligned teeth or jaws. Many people who need dental braces get them during their early teenage years. However, adults also may benefit from wearing braces. The goal of dental braces is to properly align your teeth and jaws to produce an even bite and pleasing smile.
For teens or adults who need minor corrections, an alternative to fixed braces is a series of clear, customized, removable appliances called aligners or "invisible braces." Clear aligners may be more expensive than fixed braces, but may have a more acceptable appearance to some adults. However, many people need fixed braces to appropriately correct their dental problem.
Modern materials and technologies make the experience of having dental braces much more comfortable than in the past.
- Why do people get braces? Academy of General Dentistry. http://www.knowyourteeth.com/infobites/abc/article/?abc=w&iid=322&aid=1304. Accessed Feb. 8, 2013.
- Braces. American Dental Association. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/b/braces.aspx. Accessed Feb. 8, 2013.
- Guideline on management of the developing dentition and occlusion in pediatric dentistry. American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry http://www.aapd.org/media/Policies_Guidelines/G_DevelopDentition.pdf#xml=http://pr-dtsearch001.americaneagle.com/service/search.asp?cmd=pdfhits&DocId=360&Index=F%3a%5cdtSearch%5caapd%2eorg&HitCount=15&hits=1b+43+df+1f7+222+3b3+679+72a+bec+c47+ce3+1611+18a8+1dc8+1ee5+&hc=69&req=occlusion. Accessed Feb. 8, 2013.
- Can adults wear braces? Academy of General Dentistry. http://www.knowyourteeth.com/infobites/abc/article/?abc=c&iid=322&aid=1303. Accessed Feb. 8, 2013.
- Orthodontics align crooked teeth and boost self-esteem. Academy of General Dentistry. http://www.knowyourteeth.com/infobites/abc/article/?abc=o&iid=322&aid=1301. Accessed Feb. 8, 2013.
- Bonnick AM, et al. Technological advances in nontraditional orthodontics. Dental Clinics of North America. 2011;55:571.
- Possible biomarkers for root resorption in people with braces. National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/Research/ResearchResults/ScienceBriefs/Archive/SNIB2009/August/RootResorption.htm. Accessed Feb. 12, 2013.
- Volz JE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 20, 2013.
- Carr AB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 25, 2013.
- Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary. 32nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders; 2012. http://dorlands.com/index.jsp. Accessed Feb. 28, 2013.