ResultsBy Mayo Clinic staff
On average, most people wear full braces for one to three years. Retainers may be worn indefinitely to ensure that the final results remain stable.
Braces are generally very effective in realigning crooked teeth and correcting improperly positioned jaws. But the person wearing the braces has an important role to play in the success of the treatment.
Follow your orthodontist's instructions precisely, especially during the retention period. When it comes to this final phase, it's important to wear the retainer as directed or risk losing the benefits gained while wearing braces.
- Why do people get braces? Academy of General Dentistry. http://www.knowyourteeth.com/infobites/abc/article/?abc=w&iid=322&aid=1304. Accessed Feb. 8, 2013.
- Braces. American Dental Association. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/b/braces.aspx. Accessed Feb. 8, 2013.
- Guideline on management of the developing dentition and occlusion in pediatric dentistry. American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry http://www.aapd.org/media/Policies_Guidelines/G_DevelopDentition.pdf#xml=http://pr-dtsearch001.americaneagle.com/service/search.asp?cmd=pdfhits&DocId=360&Index=F%3a%5cdtSearch%5caapd%2eorg&HitCount=15&hits=1b+43+df+1f7+222+3b3+679+72a+bec+c47+ce3+1611+18a8+1dc8+1ee5+&hc=69&req=occlusion. Accessed Feb. 8, 2013.
- Can adults wear braces? Academy of General Dentistry. http://www.knowyourteeth.com/infobites/abc/article/?abc=c&iid=322&aid=1303. Accessed Feb. 8, 2013.
- Orthodontics align crooked teeth and boost self-esteem. Academy of General Dentistry. http://www.knowyourteeth.com/infobites/abc/article/?abc=o&iid=322&aid=1301. Accessed Feb. 8, 2013.
- Bonnick AM, et al. Technological advances in nontraditional orthodontics. Dental Clinics of North America. 2011;55:571.
- Possible biomarkers for root resorption in people with braces. National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/Research/ResearchResults/ScienceBriefs/Archive/SNIB2009/August/RootResorption.htm. Accessed Feb. 12, 2013.
- Volz JE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 20, 2013.
- Carr AB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 25, 2013.
- Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary. 32nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders; 2012. http://dorlands.com/index.jsp. Accessed Feb. 28, 2013.