DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
CLICK TO ENLARGE
A brain tumor is a mass or growth of abnormal cells in your brain.
Many different types of brain tumors exist. Some brain tumors are noncancerous (benign), and some brain tumors are cancerous (malignant). Brain tumors can begin in your brain (primary brain tumors), or cancer can begin in other parts of your body and spread to your brain (secondary, or metastatic, brain tumors).
Brain tumor treatment options depend on the type of brain tumor you have, as well as its size and location.
- What you need to know about brain tumors. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/brain. Accessed April 18, 2012.
- Adult brain tumors treatment (PDQ): Health professional version. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/adultbrain/healthprofessional. Accessed April 18, 2012.
- Bradley WG, et al. Neurology in Clinical Practice. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Butterworth-Heinemann Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7506-7525-3..X5001-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-7506-7525-3&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed April 18, 2012.
- Childhood brain and spinal cord tumors treatment overview (PDQ): Health professional version. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/childbrain/healthprofessional. Accessed April 18, 2012.
- Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1709/0.html. Accessed April 18, 2012.
- Armstrong TS, et al. Use of complementary and alternative medical therapy by patients with primary brain tumors. Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports. 2008;8:264.
- Avastin (prescribing information). South San Francisco, Calif.: Genentech Inc.; 2011. http://www.avastin.com/patient/index.html. Accessed April 19, 2012.
- Afinitor (prescribing information). East Hanover, N.J.: Novartis; 2012. http://www.afinitor.com/sega-tuberous-sclerosis/hcp/prescribing-information.jsp?site=PC018122&irmasrc=ONCWB0042&source=01030. Accessed April 19, 2012.
- Temodar (prescribing information). Whitehouse Station, N.J.: Merck & Co. Inc.; 2012. http://www.temodar.com/temodar/index.do. Accessed April 23, 2012.
- Moynihan TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 23, 2012.