SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Most cases of breast pain are classified as either cyclic or noncyclic. Each type of breast pain has distinct characteristics.
|Breast pain characteristics|
|Cyclic breast pain||Noncyclic breast pain|
Extramammary breast pain
The term extramammary means "outside the breast." Extramammary breast pain feels like it starts in the breast, but its source is actually somewhere else. Pulling a muscle in your chest, for example, can cause pain in your chest wall or rib cage.
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if breast pain:
- Continues daily for more than a couple of weeks
- Occurs in one specific area of your breast
- Seems to be getting worse over time
- Interferes with daily activities
Although breast cancer risk is low in women whose main symptom is breast pain, if your doctor recommends an evaluation, it's important to follow through.
- Golshan M, et al. Breast pain. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Dec. 17, 2012.
- Miltenburg DM, et al. Benign breast disease. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2008;35:285.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013:5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Dec. 17, 2012.
- Salzman B, et al. Common breast problems. American Family Physician. 2012;86:343.
- Pearlman MD, et al. Benign breast disease. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2010;116:747.
- Rodden AM. Common breast concerns. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2009;36:103.
- Pruthi S, et al. Vitamin E and evening primrose oil for management of cyclical mastalgia: A randomized pilot study. Alternative Medicine Review. 2010;15:59.
- Parsay S, et al. Therapeutic effects of vitamin E on cyclic mastalgia. The Breast Journal. 2009;15:510.
- Evening primrose oil. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 18, 2012.
- Gallenberg MM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 20, 2012.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 20, 2012.