DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic staff
Breast reconstruction is a surgical procedure that restores shape to your breast after mastectomy — surgery that removes your breast to treat or prevent breast cancer. Breast reconstruction with flap surgery is a type of breast reconstruction that involves taking a section of tissue from one area of your body and relocating it to your chest to create a new breast mound.
Breast reconstruction with flap surgery is a complex procedure performed by a plastic surgeon. Much of the breast reconstruction using your body's own tissue can be accomplished at the time of your mastectomy. However, you'll need a second operation to achieve a correctly positioned, natural-appearing breast or to perform nipple reconstruction.
- Breast reconstruction after mastectomy. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/002992-pdf.pdf. Accessed July 21, 2010.
- Surgery choices for women with early-stage breast cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/SurgeryChoicesESBCPDF. Accessed July 21, 2010.
- Hu E, et al. Breast Reconstruction. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2007;87:453.
- Breast reconstruction. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Patients_and_Consumers/Procedures/Reconstructive_Procedures/Breast_Reconstruction.html. Accessed July 21, 2010.
- Reavey P, et al. Update on breast reconstruction in breast cancer. Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2008;20:61.
- Wilhelmi BJ, et al. Breast reconstruction. In: Townsend CM, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery. 18th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/207919050-3/0/1565/0.html. Accessed July 21, 2010.
- Wilkins EG, et al. Breast reconstruction in women with breast cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 21, 2010.
- Atisha D, et al. Prospective Analysis of Long-term Psychosocial Outcomes in Breast Reconstruction. Annals of Surgery. 2008;247:1019.
- Walsh MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 22, 2010.