ResultsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Successful breast reduction surgery can relieve pain in your upper back, neck and shoulders. It might also increase your ability to participate in physical activities and promote a more positive self-image.
Although you'll see results immediately, remember that it can take months for the swelling to completely subside and the surgical scars to fade. The final result is generally permanent — although breast shape and size can change due to factors such as aging and weight gain or loss.
If you're not happy with your results, talk to your surgeon. In some cases, another surgical procedure might be needed to help you achieve optimal results.
- Spector D, et al. Not what I expected: Informational needs of women undergoing breast surgery. Plastic Surgical Nursing. 2010;30:70.
- Sabino N, et al. Self-esteem and functional capacity outcomes following reduction mammaplasty. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 2008;28:417.
- Breast reduction. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/reconstructive-procedures/breast-reduction.html. Accessed Aug. 16, 2011.
- Henry SL, et al. Risk factors and complications in reduction mammaplasty: Novel associations and preoperative assessment. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2009;124:1040.
- Spear ME, et al. The impact of reduction mammaplasty on breast sensation: An analysis of multiple surgical techniques. Annals of Plastic Surgery. In press. Accessed Sept. 26, 2011.
- Tenna S, et al. Postural variations after breast reduction: Introduction of a new technique to achieve an objective analysis. Annals of Plastic Surgery. In press. Accessed Sept. 26, 2011.
- Thibaudeau S, et al. The effects of breast reduction on successful breastfeeding: A systematic review. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery. 2010;63:1688.