RisksBy Mayo Clinic staff
Breast reduction surgery has the same risks as any other type of major surgery — bleeding, infection and an adverse reaction to the anesthesia. Other possible risks include:
- Loss of sensation in the nipples and areolae
- Loss of the nipples and areolae
- Difficulty breast-feeding
- Asymmetry in size, shape, position and contour of the nipples or breasts, which might lead to further surgery to improve appearance
- Allergic reaction to surgical tape or other materials used during or after the procedure
In addition, the risk of poor wound healing after breast reduction seems to be higher for women who have a higher body mass index.
After breast reduction surgery, it might take time to get used to the change in your appearance. Understanding what's involved in breast reduction surgery and weighing the benefits and risks ahead of time can help you decide if breast reduction surgery is right for you.
- Spector D, et al. Not what I expected: Informational needs of women undergoing breast surgery. Plastic Surgical Nursing. 2010;30:70.
- Sabino N, et al. Self-esteem and functional capacity outcomes following reduction mammaplasty. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 2008;28:417.
- Breast reduction. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/reconstructive-procedures/breast-reduction.html. Accessed Aug. 16, 2011.
- Henry SL, et al. Risk factors and complications in reduction mammaplasty: Novel associations and preoperative assessment. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2009;124:1040.
- Spear ME, et al. The impact of reduction mammaplasty on breast sensation: An analysis of multiple surgical techniques. Annals of Plastic Surgery. In press. Accessed Sept. 26, 2011.
- Tenna S, et al. Postural variations after breast reduction: Introduction of a new technique to achieve an objective analysis. Annals of Plastic Surgery. In press. Accessed Sept. 26, 2011.
- Thibaudeau S, et al. The effects of breast reduction on successful breastfeeding: A systematic review. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery. 2010;63:1688.