Preparing for your appointmentBy Mayo Clinic staff
If you suspect that you have brucellosis, you're likely to start by seeing your family doctor or a general practitioner. You may be referred to an infectious disease specialist.
A diagnosis of brucellosis depends on understanding if, how and when you were exposed to the bacteria that cause the disease. You can help your doctor by being prepared with as much information as possible.
What you can do
Before your appointment, you may want to write a list of answers to the following questions:
- When did you first begin experiencing symptoms?
- Have you eaten raw (unpasteurized) dairy products, such as goat cheese?
- Does your job involve contact with animals or with animal tissues?
- Have you traveled outside the United States during the past year?
- Do you work in a lab where infectious organisms are present?
- Have you gone hunting recently?
What to expect from your doctor
During the physical exam, your doctor may:
- Ask you to move your joints, to check for pain and stiffness
- Check your reflexes and the strength of your muscles
- Press on your abdomen to determine if organs are enlarged or tender
- Brucellosis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/brucellosis_g.htm. Accessed Sept. 20, 2010.
- Salata RA. Brucellosis. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/219300457-3/1055876208/1492/1162.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2805-5..50336-0_14353. Accessed Sept. 20, 2010.
- Everett ED. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis and treatment of brucellosis. http://uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Sept. 20, 2010.
- Cristofaro P, et al. Brucellosis. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis & Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00011-1--sc0120&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&sid=1055876208&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00011-1--sc0120&uniqId=219300457-4#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00011-1--sc0120. Accessed Sept. 20, 2010.
- Dokuzoguz B, et al. Brucellosis. In: Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy 2010. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6642-2..00002-8--sc0030&isbn=978-1-4160-6642-2&sid=1055982062&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6642-2..00002-8--sc0030&uniqId=219300457-6#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6642-2..00002-8--sc0030. Accessed Sept. 20, 2010.