ResultsBy Mayo Clinic staff
The effectiveness of cervical cerclage is a topic of debate. Studies show that cerclage can help prolong pregnancy and prevent premature birth for women who have a history of miscarriages or premature births and a short cervix. However, it's not clear if the procedure will promote a baby's health. Keep in mind that the timing of cervical cerclage can also affect the outcome. The later cervical cerclage is done during pregnancy, the greater the risk that the procedure will stimulate preterm labor or rupture the membranes.
In most cases, a successful pregnancy after cerclage indicates the need for cerclage during future pregnancies. Consult your health care provider about your options.
- Johnson JR, et al. Cervical insufficiency. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Oct. 4, 2011.
- Norwitz ER. Transabdominal cervical cerclage. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Oct. 4, 2011.
- Norwitz ER. Transvaginal cervical cerclage. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Oct. 4, 2011.
- Norwitz ER. Prevention of spontaneous preterm birth. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Sept. 22, 2011.
- Mancuso MS, et al. Prevention of preterm birth based on a short cervix: Cerclage. Seminars in Perinatology. 2009;33:325.
- Fox NS, et al. Cervical cerclage: A review of the evidence. Obstetrical and Gynecological Survey. 2008;63:58.
- Debbs RH, et al. Contemporary use of cerclage in pregnancy. Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2009;52:597.
- Daskalakis GJ. Prematurity prevention: The role of cerclage. Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2009;21:148.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6035539. Accessed Oct. 20, 2011.
- Rodgers VL, et al. Obstetrics and obstetric disorders. In: McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. 51st ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=9353. Accessed Oct. 20, 2011.
- Haas DM. Preterm birth. Clinical Evidence. 2011;4:1404.
- Groom KM, et al. Preconception transabdominal cervicoisthmic cerclage. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2004;191:230.
- Ludmir J, et al. Cervical incompetence. In: Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06930-7..50027-X&isbn=978-0-443-06930-7&uniqId=301267705-3. Accessed Nov. 14, 2011.