ResultsBy Mayo Clinic staff
A light chemical peel can improve skin texture and tone, as well as decrease the appearance of fine wrinkles. The results will be subtle at first, but will increase with repeated treatments. After a light chemical peel, avoid sun exposure until new skin completely covers the treated area.
If you have a medium chemical peel, treated skin will be noticeably smoother after the procedure. Your doctor might recommend avoiding sun exposure for several months.
After a deep chemical peel, you'll see a dramatic improvement in the look and feel of treated areas. You'll need to protect your skin from the sun permanently to prevent changes in skin color.
Keep in mind that chemical peel results might not be permanent. As you age you'll continue to acquire lines by squinting and smiling. New sun damage can also reverse your results and cause changes in your skin color.
- Bernstein EF. Chemical peels. Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery. 2002;21:27.
- Friedman S, et al. Chemical peels, dermabrasion and laser therapy. 2009;55:223.
- Landau M. Chemical peels. Clinics in Dermatology. 2008;26:200.
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3007358. Accessed March 27, 2012.
- Chemical peel. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/chemical-peel.html. Accessed March 27, 2012.
- Chemical peel information. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. http://www.asds.net/_ConsumerPage.aspx?id=508&terms=chemical%20peel#. Accessed March 27, 2012.
- Facial peels and laser surgery. The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. http://www.aafprs.org/patient/procedures/resurfacing.html. Accessed March 27, 2012.
- Roenigk RK, et al. Roenigk's Dermatologic Surgery: Current Techniques in Procedural Dermatology. New York, N.Y.: Informa Healthcare;2007:763.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 18, 2012.