Alternative medicineBy Mayo Clinic staff
Vitamin D was previously used as a treatment for chilblains, but research has shown this therapy doesn't work.
- Goldsmith LA, et al. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine.8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed Oct. 5, 2012.
- Prakask S, et al. Idiopathic chilblains. The American Journal of Medicine. 2009;122:1152.
- Vano-Galvan S, et al. Chilblains. CMAJ. 2012;184:67.
- Tintinalli JE, et al, eds. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6366741. Accessed Oct. 6, 2012.
- Souwer IH, et al. Chronic chilblains. BMJ. 2011;342:1.
- Souwer IH, et al. Vitamin D3 is not effective in the treatment of chronic chilblains. The International Journal of Clinical Practice. 2009;63:282.