Alternative medicineBy Mayo Clinic staff
Currently, there isn't any evidence that proves that the use of medications, vitamins or other supplements improves symptoms of childhood apraxia of speech (CAS). Children with CAS improve through practicing words and phrases in speech therapy.
More research is needed to study the potential use of vitamins, supplements and other medical treatments to improve speech in children with CAS.
- Childhood apraxia of speech. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/ChildhoodApraxia/. Accessed Nov. 5, 2012.
- Morgan AT, et al. Intervention for childhood apraxia of speech. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006278.pub2/abstract. Accessed Nov. 5, 2012.
- Carter J, et al. Etiology of speech and language disorders in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 16, 2012.
- Souza TN, et al. Childhood speech apraxia in focus: Theoretical perspectives and present tendencies. Pro-Fono Revista de Atualizacao Científica. 2009;21:76.
- Technical report: Childhood apraxia of speech. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/policy/TR2007-00278.htm. Accessed Nov. 5, 2012.
- Position statement: Childhood apraxia of speech. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/policy/PS2007-00277.htm. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
- Library: Resources and support: Apraxia support groups — United States. Apraxia-KIDS. http://www.apraxia-kids.org/library/apraxia-support-groups-united-states/. Accessed March 6, 2013.
- Strand E (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 23, 2013.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2012-2013. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
- McCauley RJ, et al. Evidence-based systematic review: Effects of nonspeech oral motor exercises on speech. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology. 2009;18:343.
- McCauley RJ, et al. Treatment of childhood apraxia of speech: Clinical decision making in the use of nonspeech oral motor exercises. Seminars in Speech and Language. 2008;29:284.
- Shriberg LD, et al. Prevalence and phenotype of childhood apraxia of speech in youth with galactosemia. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. 2011;54:487.
- Shriberg LD, et al. Proceedings of the 2002 Childhood Apraxia of Speech Symposium. Carlsbad, Calif.: The Hendrix Foundation; 2002.
- Creaghead NA, et al. Assessment and Remediation of Articulatory and Phonological Disorders. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: Macmillan Publishing Company; 1989.
- Caruso AJ, et al. Clinical Management of Motor Speech Disorders in Children. New York, N.Y.: Thieme; 1999.
- Speech sound disorders: Articulation and phonological processes. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/SpeechSoundDisorders/. Accessed March 8, 2013.
- Dysarthria. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/dysarthria/. Accessed March 8, 2013.
- Yorkston KM, et al. Management of Motor Speech Disorders in Children and Adults. 3rd ed. Austin, Texas: Pro-Ed; 2010.