SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Signs and symptoms of cholecystitis may include:
- Severe, steady pain in the upper right part of your abdomen
- Pain that radiates from your abdomen to your right shoulder or back
- Tenderness over your abdomen when it's touched
- Abdominal bloating
Cholecystitis signs and symptoms usually occur after a meal, particularly a large meal or a meal high in fat.
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you have any signs or symptoms that worry you. Abdominal pain that is so severe you can't sit still or find a comfortable position is an emergency, so have someone drive you to the emergency room in this situation.
- Cholecystitis. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..C2009-0-38600-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&about=true&uniqId=230100505-53. Accessed July 22, 2011.
- Wang DQH, et al. Gallstone disease. In: Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed July 22, 2011.
- Guss DA, et al. Disorders of the liver and biliary tract. In: Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230019911-17. Accessed July 22, 2011.
- Gallstones. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gallstones/index.aspx. Accessed July 22, 2011.