Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic staff
Churg-Strauss syndrome is a serious disease. Even when it's in remission, you may worry about the possibility of recurrence or about long-term damage to your heart, lungs and nerves. Here are some suggestions for coping with the disease:
- Educate yourself about Churg-Strauss syndrome. The more you know, the better prepared you may be to deal with complications or recurrences. Besides talking to your doctor, you may want to talk to a counselor or medical social worker. Or you may find it helpful to talk to other people with Churg-Strauss syndrome.
- Maintain a support system. Although family and friends can help tremendously, you sometimes may find the understanding and advice of other people with Churg-Strauss syndrome especially helpful. Your doctor or a medical social worker may be able to put you in touch with a support group. Or you can look for a local or online support group through the Churg-Strauss Syndrome Association.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed May 21, 2013.
- Vaglio A, et al. Churg-Strauss syndrome: Update on pathophysiology and treatment. Current Opinions in Rheumatology. 2012;24:24.
- Baldini C, et al. Clinical manifestations and treatment of Churg-Strauss syndrome. Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America. 2010;36:527.
- Vaglio A, et al. Eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Churg-Strauss): State of the art. Allergy. 2013;68:261.
- King TE Jr. Clinical features and diagnosis of eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Churg-Strauss). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 21, 2013.
- Paggiaro P, et al. Montelukast in asthma: A review of its efficacy and place in therapy. Therapeutic Advances in Chronic Disease. 2011;2:47.
- Bibby S, et al. Association between leukotriene receptor antagonist therapy and Churg-Strauss syndrome: An analysis of the FDA AERS database. Thorax. 2010;65:132.
- Imboden JB, et al. Current Rheumatology Diagnosis & Treatment. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=38. Accessed May 21, 2013.
- Medication and side effects. The Churg-Strauss Syndrome Association. http://www.cssassociation.org/medications-and-side-effects.html. Accessed May 25, 2013.
- King TE Jr. Treatment and prognosis of Churg-Strauss syndrome of eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Churg-Strauss). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 21, 2013.