How you prepareBy Mayo Clinic staff
Before circumcision, the doctor will explain the risks and benefits of the procedure. Whether you're planning to have your son circumcised or you're pursuing circumcision for yourself, you'll likely need to provide written consent for the procedure.
- Weismiller DG. Procedures for neonatal circumcision. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 9, 2011.
- Baskin LS. Circumcision: Risks and benefits. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 9, 2011.
- Yiee JH, et al. Complications of circumcision. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 9, 2011.
- McInerny T, et al. American Academy of Pediatrics Textbook of Pediatric Care. Elk Grove Village, Ill.: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2009:828.
- Provencio-Vasquez E. Circumcision revisited. Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing. 2009;14:295.
- Brown-Trask B, et al. Circumcision care. RN. 2009;72:22.
- Circumcision policy statement. American Academy of Pediatrics Policy. http://aappolicy.aappublications.org. Accessed Aug. 27, 2012.
- Kigozi G, et al. The effect of male circumcision on sexual satisfaction and function, results from a randomized trial of male circumcision for human immunodeficiency virus prevention, Rakai, Uganda. BJU International. 2008;101:65.
- Task Force on Circumcision. Male circumcision. Pediatrics. In press. Accessed Aug. 27, 2012.