Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic staff
Living with cluster headache can be very difficult. Cluster headaches can be frightening to you and to your family and friends. The debilitating attacks may seem unbearable. In addition to the physical symptoms, the chronic pain that often accompanies cluster headache attacks can make you anxious or depressed. Ultimately, it may affect your interaction with friends and family, your productivity at work, and the overall quality of your life.
Talking to a counselor or therapist can help you cope with the effects of cluster headache. Or you may find encouragement and understanding in a headache support group. Although support groups aren't for everyone, they can be good sources of information. Group members often know about the latest treatments and tend to share their own experiences. If you're interested, your doctor may be able to recommend a group in your area.
- Simon RP, et al. Headache and facial pain. In: Simon RP, et al. Clinical Neurology. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies: 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=5146135&searchStr=cluster+headache. Accessed Nov. 24, 2010.
- Ropper AH, et al. Headache and other craniofacial pains. In: Ropper AH, et al. Adam's and Victor's Principles of Neurology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3631051&searchStr=cluster+headache. Accessed Nov. 24, 2010.
- Goadsby PJ, et al. Headache. In: Fauci AS, et al. Harrison's Online. 17th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2890458&searchStr=cluster+headache#2890458. Accessed Nov. 24, 2010.
- May A. Cluster headache: Epidemiology, clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 24, 2010.
- Cluster headaches. National Headache Foundation. http://www.headaches.org/education/Headache_Topic_Sheets/Cluster_Headaches. Accessed Nov. 24, 2010.
- Headache: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/headache/detail_headache.htm. Accessed Nov. 29, 2010.
- Evers S. Pharmacotherapy of cluster headache. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy. 2010;11:2121.
- May A. Cluster headache: Acute and preventive treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 24, 2010.
- Cohen AS, et al. High-flow oxygen for treatment of cluster headache: A randomized trial. 2009;302:2451.
- Francis GJ, et al. Acute and preventive treatment of cluster headache. Neurology. 2010;75:463.
- Melatonin. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com/nd/Search.aspx?cs=MAYO&s=ND&pt=100&id=940&ds=&name=MELATONIN&searchid=23998947. Accessed Nov. 23, 2010.
- Paemeleire K, et al. Occipital nerve stimulation for headache disorders. Neurotherapeutics: The Journal of the American Society for Experimental Neurotherapeutics. 2010;7:213.
- Sewell RA. Response of cluster headache to kudzu. Headache. 2009;49:98.
- Rossi P, et al. Use of complementary and alternative medicine by patients with cluster headache: Results of a multi-centre headache clinic survey. Complementary Therapies in Medicine 2008;16:220.
- Capsicum. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com/nd/Search.aspx?cs=MAYO&s=ND&pt=100&id=945&ds=&name=CAPSICUM&searchid=23998947. Accessed Nov. 29, 2010.
- Swanson JW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 1, 2010.
- Headache diary. National Headache Foundation. http://www.headaches.org/pdf/Headache_Diary.pdf. Accessed Nov. 30, 2010.