ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Complicated grief can affect you physically, mentally and socially. Without appropriate treatment, these complications can include:
- Suicidal thoughts or behaviors
- Increased risk of physical illness, including heart disease, cancer and high blood pressure
- Long-term difficulty with daily living
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Substance abuse
- Nicotine use, such as smoking
- Block SD. Grief and bereavement. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Abrahm JL. Caring for patients at the end of life. In: Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/149504704-4/862286866/1709/49.html#4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06694-8..50048-8_1340. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Shear MK, et al. Complicated grief and related bereavement issues for DSM-5. Depression and Anxiety. 2011;28:103.
- Bereavement. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Marchand L. End-of-life care. In: Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Grief, bereavement, and coping with loss. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/supportivecare/bereavement/HealthProfessional. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Coping with the loss of a loved one. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/EmotionalSideEffects/GriefandLoss/coping-with-the-loss-of-a-loved-one-depression-and-complicated-grief. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Powell AD. Grief, bereavement, and adjustment disorders. In: Stern TA, et al. Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04743-2..50040-8&isbn=978-0-323-04743-2&uniqId=267674922-4#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04743-2..50040-8--cesec1. Accessed July 19, 2011.
- Sung SC, et al. Complicated grief among individuals with major depression: Prevalence, comorbidity, and associated features. Journal of Affective Disorders. In press. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Wittouck C, et al. The prevention and treatment of complicated grief: A meta-analysis. Clinical Psychology Review. 2011;31:69.