Risk factorsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Because conjoined twins are so rare, and the cause isn't clear, it's unknown what might make some couples more likely to have conjoined twins. It is known, however, that conjoined twins occur more often in Latin America than they do in the United States or Europe. However, most risk factors for twins only apply to those arising from two separate eggs.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1528/0.html. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Wen XR, et al. Thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twins: Impact of ultrasound assessment on successful surgical separation. Clinical Imaging. 2013;37:138.
- Mandy GT. Neonatal outcome, complications, and management of multiple births. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Jackson OA, et al. Conjoined twin separation: Lessons learned. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2012;129:956.
- Chen CP, et al. Conjoined twins detected in the first trimester: A review. Taiwanese Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2011;50:424.
- Rhodes JL, et al. Preoperative planning for the separation of omphalopagus conjoined twins The role of a multicomponent medical model. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 2013;24:175.
- Mutchinik OM, et al. Conjoined twins: A worldwide collaborative epidemiological study of the International Clearinghouse for Birth Defects Surveillance and Research. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics. 2011;157:274.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=46. Accessed Feb. 11, 2013.
- Chasen ST, et al. Twin pregnancy: Prenatal issues. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Sharma D, et al. Cephalothoracopagus janiceps asymmetros twins: Antenatal sonographic diagnosis. Journal of Clinical Ultrasound. 2013;00:1.
- Rios LT, et al. Prenatal diagnosis and postnatal findings of cephalothoracopagus janiceps disymmetros: A case report. Case Reports in Medicine. 2012;00:1.
- Roque H, et al. Monoamniotic twin pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 15, 2013.