Consumer health basics
- Organ donation: Don't let these myths confuse you Organ donation saves lives, but misinformation surrounds it. Get the facts about becoming an organ donor.
- Health savings accounts: Is an HSA right for you? Health savings accounts combined with high-deductible health plans are promoted as a way to cut medical costs. See how to judge if they're right for you.
- Palliative care: Symptom relief during illness Palliative care — A holistic approach to improving quality of life during serious illness.
- Living wills and advance directives for medical decisions Living wills and other advance directives describe your treatment preferences in end-of-life situations.
- Clinical trials: A chance to try new therapies Clinical trials offer you a chance to try new treatments.
- Personal health record: A tool for managing your health An electronic personal health record is a powerful tool for managing your family's health.
- Telehealth: When health care meets cyberspace Telehealth — See how technology can help you better manage your health.
- Genetic testing Genetic testing — Overview covers why genetic testing is done, preparation and results.
- Blood and bone marrow donation Blood and bone marrow donation — Overview covers definition, risks, results of this procedure.
- Blood donation Blood donation — Overview covers definition, risks, results of this procedure.
- Cosmetic surgery: What to know beforehand Cosmetic surgery — Understand the benefits, risks and limitations of this appearance-enhancing surgery.
- Cancer causes: Popular myths about the causes of cancer Cancer causes — See why these popular myths about cancer causes are wrong.
- Mindfulness exercises: How to get started Mindfulness exercises — Understand ways to practice mindfulness.
- Pet therapy: Man's best friend as healer Pet therapy isn't just fun and games. A growing field, animal-assisted therapy has proven health benefits.
- Herbal supplements may not mix with heart medicines Some herbal supplements can have dangerous interactions with heart medications.
- Complementary and alternative medicine: Evaluate treatment claims Don't take all CAM claims at face value. Do your homework when considering CAM therapies.
- Complementary and alternative medicine You've heard the hype about complementary and alternative medicine. Now get the facts.
- Ear infection treatment: Do alternative therapies work? Ear infection treatment — Alternative therapies aren't generally recommended for children with ear infections.
- Alternative cancer treatments: 11 options to consider Alternative cancer treatments may help you cope with cancer treatment side effects.
- Massage: Get in touch with its many benefits Massage can be a powerful tool to help you take charge of your health and well-being. See if it's right for you.
- Tai chi: A gentle way to fight stress The gentle movements of tai chi reduce stress and offer other health benefits.
- Biofeedback: Using your mind to improve your health Biofeedback is a technique you can learn to control your body's responses, such as your heart rate. It can be helpful for a variety of health problems.
- Hypnosis Hypnosis — Overview covers definition, risks, results of this procedure.
- Chiropractic adjustment Chiropractic adjustment — Overview covers definition, what to expect from spinal manipulation treatment for back pain.
- Acupuncture Acupuncture — Overview covers definition, risks, benefits of this alternative treatment.
- Medication errors: Cut your risk with these tips Medication errors are preventable. Reduce your risk with some simple safety tips.
- Buying prescription drugs online: The do's and don'ts Buying prescription drugs online? Stay safe with these do's and don'ts.
- Personalized medicine and pharmacogenomics Personalized medicine means using tools, such as pharmacogenomics, to tailor treatment to you.
- Antibiotics: Misuse puts you and others at risk Antibiotic misuse creates antibiotic-resistant germs. Protect yourself and others by using antibiotics wisely.