Infant and toddler health (24)
- Vaccines: Keep your child's shots on track
- Language development: Speech milestones for babies
- Childhood vaccines: Tough questions, straight answers
- see all in Infant and toddler health
Newborn health (26)
- Infant development: Birth to 3 months
- Premature baby? Understand your preemie's special needs
- Pacifiers: Are they good for your baby?
- see all in Newborn health
Infant health (24)
- Weaning: Tips for breast-feeding mothers
- Infant formula: Your questions answered
- Infant formula: 7 steps to prepare it safely
- see all in Infant health
Toddler health (16)
- Parenting tips: How to improve toddler behavior
- Burn safety: Protect your child from burns
- Water safety: Protect your child from drowning
- see all in Toddler health
Crying baby? How to keep your cool
It's tough to listen to a crying baby, but you can handle it. Slow down, take a break — and know when to ask for help.By Mayo Clinic staff
All babies cry, but the tears can take a toll.
When nothing you do soothes your crying baby, you might feel anxious. What if there's something wrong and you miss it? What if you lose control?
Take heart in your ability to care for your baby — and to recognize when you're reaching the end of your rope.
Cover the basics
When your baby cries, start with the basics.
A crying baby might simply need to be fed, burped or changed. Maybe it's time for a nap, a change in position or a session in the rocking chair. Or perhaps your crying baby needs a little more — or a little less — attention.Next page
(1 of 2)
- Coping with crying. American Academy of Pediatrics. http://www2.aap.org/sections/scan/practicingsafety/module1.htm. Accessed July 12, 2012.
- Welcome to the world of parenting! American Academy of Pediatrics. http://patiented.aap.org/content.aspx?aid=6326. Accessed July 12, 2012.
- NINDS shaken baby syndrome information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/shakenbaby/shakenbaby.htm. Accessed July 12, 2012.
- Controlling anger before it controls you. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/topics/controlanger.html. Accessed July 12, 2012.
- Underdown A, et al. Massage intervention for promoting mental and physical health in infants aged under six months. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD005038.pub2/abstract. Accessed July 12, 2012.