ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic staff
Complications of cryptosporidium infection include:
- Malnutrition resulting from poor absorption of nutrients from your intestinal tract (malabsorption)
- Severe dehydration
- Significant weight loss (wasting)
- Inflammation of a bile duct — the passage between your liver, gallbladder and small intestine
- Inflammation of your gallbladder, liver or pancreas
Cryptosporidium infection itself isn't life-threatening. However, if you've had a transplant or if you have a weakened immune system, developing complications can be dangerous.
- Cryptosporidiosis: Disease. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/crypto/disease.html. Accessed Jan. 24, 2011.
- Leder K, et al. Cryptosporidiosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 24, 2011.
- Cryptosporidiosis: Infection - General public. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/crypto/gen_info/infect.html. Accessed Jan. 24, 2011.
- Cryptosporidiosis: Prevention - General public. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/crypto/gen_info/prevent.html. Accessed Jan. 24, 2011.
- Bad bug book: Foodborne pathogenic microorganisms and natural toxins handbook — Cryptosporidium parvum. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/FoodborneIllness/FoodborneIllnessFoodbornePathogensNaturalToxins/BadBugBook/ucm070753.htm. Accessed. Jan. 24, 2011.
- Cryptosporidiosis: Epidemiology & risk factors. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/crypto/epi.html. Accessed Jan. 24, 2011.
- Rosenthal PJ. Protozoal & helminthic infections. In: McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2011. 50th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=778396. Accessed Jan. 25, 2011.
- Kirkpatrick BD, et al. Cryptosporidiosis. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Jan. 25, 2011.